October 15, 2017

Isla's Birth Story

3 days before my due date I woke up as I normally would; wobble out of bed, throw up, then grab breakfast from kitchen. Nothing seemed different until I (TMI) went to the bathroom and noticed part of the mucus plug. Now I  already lost most of it 3 days before so I didn't really think much of it. This time however there was a bit of blood. I had remembered all these women's stories of a "bloody show," so I wandered back into the bedroom where Caleb was sleeping.
"Not quite sure, but I think baby might come today," I told him. I was hoping so badly I was right, but a lot of me felt I was just looking for signs that weren't really there.

 We kept going about our day as normal, watching Gotham on Netflix and cuddling before he went to work. My back and stomach had a dull ache, which majority of me said was just part of pregnancy. I had been having off and on aches for the last few days, so I wasn't sure if these aches were just like the previous days. Around 9pm my husband left for work and I noticed more blood. Cramping was still there, but didn't exactly feel painful or in any pattern.

I kept texting my mom and husband telling them about it; trying to figure out what each little ache and twinge meant. Around 10:00pm they started to get a little stronger so I tried timing every time I felt what felt like a gas pain. The timing was super inconsistent. Some 10 minutes apart, then 3, then 45, then 12. I could tell something was happening, but it wasn't exactly like I'd imagined either. My husband and I were texting the entire time. The process was honestly frustrating. Was I making it up? What is it really suppose to feel like? I didn't really "know" and was afraid it was all for nothing. Would she be here in 24 hours or was she still days away. I wanted so badly for Caleb to come home just for emotional support. Instead I passed the time with Gilmore Girls and fueling myself on Skittles. 
Around 4am is when things changed! The cramps would come, making me squirm to try to combat the intensity.  I started texting my husband a pig emoji every time it hurt with them coming every 10 to 15 minutes now. I was starting to get anxious. My husband was stuck at work until 8am. I remember at 5:30am just crying, wanting Caleb so bad, but not wanting to get him in trouble if it all turned out to be nothing. I got up to pee, more blood, then up came the chips. The next 3 hours were the worst. I tried to sleep, waking up every 15 minutes to run to the bathroom, throw up, and try to stretch the pain away. Finally around 8:00 am Caleb came home. and we headed to the hospital.

The car ride there I remember staring at the clock trying to time the pain. 
It almost worked as a distraction.
We arrived there at 9am and went straight to labor and delivery. My husband told the nurses, "I think she's in labor."
They sent him down to registration and sent me to a room. I changed into a gown and a nurse came into check me.

I was a 2 almost 3 I think. I can't really remember.  Between the complete lack of sleep and the pain it all was a daze. They monitored my contractions and baby's heart rate. I just laid in bed breathing through the contractions, listening to Isla's heartbeat, and occasionally throwing up.The nurse came back and said she'd like to check if she accidentally broke my waters. 20 minutes later she came back and said "Well you're staying! Your water's broke." I was so relieved to know that I wasn't going to be sent home. My baby was coming soon!

At 9:45 am they called my OB/GYN who checked me again. I was a definite 3 now. She wanted to monitor my contractions internally. Oh this part hurt! I was contracting, her hands were shoved however far up me, plus the IUPC going inside me. My husband said he was kind of mad watching because I looked like I was in so much pain. I just kept reminding myself:
 "Once this is done you're going to get the epidural. You'll stop being in pain. Just a little while longer."
Shortly after the anesthesiologist came in. My heart was racing afraid it'd hurt, but kept reminding myself again "a little more pain and it'll all be better." They had me sit on the edge of the bed, pushed a table in front my me and my husband standing in front of that.  I hugged a pillow while my husband hugged me. They cleaned my back off and then came the part everyone said hurt the worst, the numbing injection. To my surprise  felt like nothing to me. No worse than pricking your finger on a thumbtack.

At this point my husband's head was slightly digging into the top of mine. I tried to tap him off and then next thing I know I see him in the arms of one of the nurses passed out! I couldn't see much else due to the anesthesiologist still in my back but I hear them lower him to the floor. A nurse says "nice catch!," and someone rushed off to get him juice. My nurse came over and started comforting me in place of Caleb. Then a 2nd nurse grabs my phone and takes a picture of the whole situation. She said this is something we'll definitely want to remember.
Next thing I know I'm laying back down into bed with Caleb back up by my side. Slowly the pain all went away and my legs turned tingly. I was finally able to relax. I quickly fell into sleep and Caleb did too on the pull out couch. We slept from 11:00 am until 1:30pm. I only woke up to get checked again at noon where I was a 4. I think they gave me pitocin to try to speed up contractions at one point but I can't remember when.

At 2:00 pm the nurse came back into check me one more time. My whole body was shaking so badly it almost hurt. The nurse said I could be reaching transition and that's why I was shaking so bad. Last time we had talked they didn't think she'd be coming soon, so it was to every one's surprise when she check and said "There's no cervix left! Get ready to push mama! We're calling your doctor."

I was shocked and started to get so excited as we waited for the doctor. The nurses began bringing the supplies into the room. I quickly called my parents to tell them I'll be pushing soon.
However,  I was still shaking so they checked my temperature. It was 102.  The baby was starting to get antsy with a heart rate up around 180. The doctor's didn't seem terribly concerned, but just said we need to get this baby out soon. They slapped an oxygen mask on me which helped so much with the shaking and throughout the delivery.

At 2:30 I started pushing, with each contraction baring down 3 times. I could feel the pressure in my stomach when the contraction started, signalling me to take a deep breath and push with all my might. I counted through them.

"Inhale! 1, 2, 3, 4...10! Deep breath in and 1,2 3, 4..."

The more I pushed the more pressure I could feel in my pelvis. It honestly made me so happy feeling it, knowing that was my baby. She was getting closer. 
This continued for about an hour before the doctor grabbed a vacuum to help her out. Babies heart rate was rising more and they were concerned for her temperature as well. About 10 more contractions and then I saw her.
3:40 pm
They pulled her out of me, her body covered in vernix all tiny and pink. I couldn't believe it. All I could think was "She's mine. That's my baby." I looked at Caleb as if to say "Can you believe this?" 

It all felt surreal her being there with me actually TOUCHING her. My 2nd thoughts were how tiny she was, followed by "I can't believe I practically starved her for weeks due to hyperemesis." 
She had a temperature of 100.4 I think. They had me hold her close so her temperature would equal out. All the nurses started cleaning the room up and by 4 o'clock it was just us 3.

Isla, Caleb & Me.

It all happened so fast. Not even the doctors/nurses though it'd happen as fast as it did. But it did , and she is here, and I am absolutely so incredibly in love with her.

Everyday since has been the best days of my life. I feel so blessed to be her mother and be able to raise this sweet girl with such an amazing man as my husband. 

No comments:

Post a Comment